Friday, April 13, 2007

Today's news...

Wild horses in England. Interesting, but I would like to know more about how horses revitalize the marshland. As it is, a superficial article. (You can get some real info here at the BBC...)
They do the job of restoring habitats simply by eating the grass and reeds to stop the woody scrub building up.

Without them the wetland would dry up and become woodland.

Normally the conservation organisations would use heavy machinery to keep down the vegetation. But now the horses do it for them the natural way.

These horses come from Holland, and they are genetically the closest thing to wild horses that roamed across England 7,000 years ago.

The Dutch have been breeding them for the same purpose in their nature reserves
World Bank to decide on Wolfowitz. The World Bank is both an old boys club and the US's play-toy. I would be shocked if they actually gave Wolfowitz the boot. (The best take on this that I've seen is over at Daily Kos.)

A Canadian documentary on why Canadians hate Toronto. I know someone from Newfoundland who has lived in and hates Toronto. That said, I love Toronto and don't understand why anyone would hate it. I'm perplexed.

Interracial marriages surge across U.S. I'm sure there is a geographical basis for this trend as well. In Rochester it is not uncommon to see multiracial families. In northern Florida, where I am from, it was rarer than hens' teeth.